Saturday, August 27, 2011

Business cards

As the details of the launch and operation of my small business started to take shape, it became necessary to get business cards to represent my brand. I wanted to have something in the business card format to distribute to people who wanted to learn more about my business, but I didn't want cards with my name on them because I felt that having both my day job cards and my small business cards would be a hassle. Instead, I had the cards printed with the name of the marketing contractor I hired. I handed them out for the both of us and it worked fine.

I didn't spend any time shopping around for a good price for card printing. Instead, I awarded the job to the shop my employer uses for everything. I figured that my day job cards were acceptable so it made sense for me to stay local and loyal. Unfortunately, I ended up paying around twenty five dollars for one hundred cards. I was pleased with the final product and the turn around time but I later learned that I had paid way too much.

I learned about vistaprint.com when a friend of mine mentioned I could have business cards printed online for free if I allowed the company to print their name somewhere on the card. Google returned vistaprint.com near the top when I searched along these lines. I didn't find a free option but I did get two hundred and fifty cards printed for under four dollars. The local shop charged me fifteen times what vistaprint.com charged on a cost per card basis. I am ordering another five hundred cards for my business so I can throw them around like Monopoly money in the local food and coffee shops (these are the places where my potential customers linger).

The shipment (shown below) arrived within three weeks even though I selected the six week cheap delivery option. You can pick the paper quality and even the cheap stuff I picked looks and feels like a real business card.


No comments:

Post a Comment